On this episode: Outward Bound, Hogzilla, trail magic, and “wilderness camping is illegal in Germany?!” We’re talking with Carsten “Sauerkraut” Jost, AT & PCT thru-hiker, outdoor instructor and ultralight blogger.
- 00:45 – Introducing Carsten Jost
- 05:00 – His first attempt on the PCT (and some serious trail magic)
- 09:00 – The recent flooding in Germany
- 11:00 – Working for Outward Bound
- 17:00 – Wild camping illegal in Germany
- 22:30 – Hiking the Via Alpina (and other hut-to-hut routes)
- 24:45 – Why do europeans travel to California to go backpacking?
- 27:55 – One plus to hiking in Europe: No man-eating animals
- 29:30 – A short explanation of the GR trail system in Europe
- 36:20 – On being a newbie, and the fear of doing something for the first time
- 41:40 – Age, the outdoors and what’s your next adventure?
- 50:00 – Where to find Carsten online
Mentioned in this Show
- Photo album from Carsten and Jeff’s Grand Teton backpacking trip
- Pacific Crest Trail
- Tell It On The Mountain – Jeff’s review on this documentary about the Pacific Crest Trail
- Outward Bound
- Adventure in Everything: How the Five Elements of Adventure Create a Life of Authenticity, Purpose, and Inspiration – Matthew Walker (book)
- Coast to Coast Sweden (FB group)
Connect with Carsten
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.