All this month we are celebrating women in the outdoors for Women’s History Month. We have four episodes instead of the usual two. On this episode: we’ll talk about tree branches that look like snakes, being a health care working during a pandemic, and “dot watchers.” We’re talking with Amber Montforte, a nurse in South Lake Tahoe who loves exploring mountains, sometimes even setting an FKT along the way.
Amber currently holds the unsupported women’s FKT for the John Muir Trail, completing it in just 4 days, 5 hours and 6 minutes.
- 00:35 – Introducing Amber Montforte
- 01:50 – What is an “unsupported” fastest known time (FKT)?
- 05:10 – What gear does Amber bring on a trip like the FKT on the John Muir Trail (JMT)?
- 07:28 – What motivates you to attempt an FKT?
- 10:18 – Working as a nurse during COVID-19
- 16:27 – Western States 100
- 19:30 – Dealing with the emotional highs and lows on endurance races
- 20:25 – Sleep deprivation and hallucinations on an FKT attempt
- 25:40 – Goals outside of California
- 29:00 – How much faster can you go “supported” vs “unsupported?”
- 31:30 – Can you enjoy the experience and go fast?
- 36:15 – Tracking and validating an FKT attempt
- 37:00 – “Dot watchers” following an attempt
- 41:12 – What’s a typical recovery after an FKT attempt?
- 42:45 – Tips for balancing work and training
- 44:20 – The blessing of a treadmill (especially with young children)
Mentioned in this Show
- Unsupported – Jason’s short documentary about attempting to get an FKT on the JMT
- John Muir Trail
- Western States 100
- Fastest Known Time
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.