In this episode: squiggle factor, gimbals, and “so you think you wanna make a hiking documentary.” We talk with Chris Smead of Outmersive Films about his latest film Highline, a story that follows five guys hiking the Uinta Highline Trail in Utah. This episode is for all of you aspiring outdoor filmmakers and camera gear lovers.
- 01:10 – A bit about the film Highline
- 02:07 – How the five individuals in Highline got together
- 03:32 – How did you learn about the Uinta Highline trail?
- 16:05 – Did they have a resupply on their 10-day trek?
- 17:40 – Average mileage on their trek (and the squiggle factor)
- 24:10 – Photo gear Chris used on Highline
- 27:43 – Protecting the gear (and staying “ultralight-ish”)
- 31:50 – How Chris got into making outdoor films
- 35:17 – Getting robbed by a film distributor
- 42:15 – Managing work/relaxation balance on backpacking trips
- 46:34 – Creating “drone-ish” shots without a drone
Mentioned in this Episode
- The Highline film
- Back Country Horsemen of America
- Sony A6500
- Sony FDR-AX53 Handycam
- GoPro Hero 6 Black
- John Muir Trail
- High Sierra Trail film
- Outmersive Films
Connect with us!
Like Almost There on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/almostthereadventurepodcast/
Follow Almost There on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/almostthere_ap/
Send us a voice message! https://www.speakpipe.com/AlmostThere
- Jason Fitzpatrick – IG: @themuirproject
- Saveria Tilden – IG: @adventuruswomen web: AdventurUsWomen.com
- Jeff Hester – IG: @thesocalhiker web: SoCalHiker.net
Theme song by Opus Orange. Courtesy of Emoto Music.
The Almost There Adventure Podcast is a celebration of outdoor activities both local and epic. Discussing the big topics and talking to adventurers, artists, legends and activists within the outdoor community.